February 15, 2013

Food & Health: Simply Spinach Soup

      Being healthy is hard. With so many place offering huge portions of fattening food, fast food joints everywhere with options to super size, it seems as if the world is against smart and "proper" eating habits. Being vegan is seemingly impossible with so few companies offering alternatives, but they are slowly starting to get more and more animal friendly products out there. I choose to be a pescetarian/[very] occasional chicken eater/mostly vegetarian because I find meact to be too gamy and fleshy. :::shudder:::  I am very happy and content eating my veggies, fruits, nuts and beans. It sounds like a very boring diet, but there are SO many amazing dishes that make it worthwhile and prove that healthy can be tasty!! 
      I'm going to [try to] share a favorite new dish each month, just because I love to cook and I several people have asked me how I stay so thin/in shape. I must admit though that sometimes, and this may be why I've gotten a little too thin lately, I forget to eat. I just get so caught up in life, and the things I'm doing, and running around like a crazy person that sometimes food totally skips my mind. Also sometimes I just don't feel like cooking and eating a frozen bean burrito is so much easier than hauling out all the things I need to actually cook. What's great though is that a lot of the food I prepare yields several helpings and I can eat for 3 days before having to make something else.
      Most of the recipes I've found online and just tweak them [sometimes a lot] to fit my tastes/ what I already have in the pantry. The latest obsession of mine, at the moment, is spinach. I never knew it was so yummy! I love it by itself with an oil/vinegar & lemon dressing, add tomatoes and onions for an amazing [simple] salad. I love it mixed in with Spanish rice & corn, and this soup I found is A.MAZE.ING! Simple to make and it made so much I actually had to dump the last of it :( [ran out of time to eat it] It is SO delicious, HEALTHY as sin [I eat about 3 cups though bf I'm full] and I'm making another version this week with brown rice! Here it tis! Enjoy and let me know what you think! 

OH- PS: I don't measure anything except when I'm baking. I just put a dash or pinch of whatever the seasonings are. I've been cooking forever  though  so I can kind of guess how much to put in. Just smell and taste as you go just remember add a little at a time, you can always add more, you can't take away! :) 

Ingredients

  • EVOO
  • Onions
  • Carrots [chopped- canned or fresh]
  • Corn
  • Small roast or red potatoes [not skinned just chopped up to whatever size you want]
  • Vegetable Stock [meat stock should work just as well but I don’t know how it will taste]
  • Garlic powder, 
  • Rosemary, 
  • Salt & Pepper (the more Rosemary you use the more salt you will need- I used a small cupped palm- of all the seasoning combined)
  • Spinach
 Sauté Onions in EVOO till they are translucent. Add stock +1/2 the amount [of the container] of water [doesn't lessen the taste of the stock].  Add everything but the Corn & Spinach, those go in last.  Let start to softly boil. When the carrots and potatoes are soft add the Corn & Spinach.  Let the spinach get tender [only takes a minute or two] then blend a little more than ½ the pot in a blender [makes a thicker, chunky soup].  Return to the rest of the [watery] soup in the pot & stir.
Serve and ENJOY!