February 12, 2013

Mama: Spoiler with pictures

      I hated this movie! Guillermo disappointed me so greatly I don't know if I can forgive him! I don't go to the movies often but I love his movies usually so I was excited and anticipating this one since the previews started airing! I don't even bother going to the movies any more honestly. The cr@p that's been coming out is a waste of time & money. The last movie I even remember going to see was Prometheus and that one just pissed me off! [BORING] This movie had it's moments but wasn't far off from the same review. We sat through an hour and a half of crappy CGI (WTH, Pan's Labyrinth was amazing!) and I only jumped ONCE. I LOVE scary movies, especially if they scare me. If that's what you expect from this film, skip it.
      The plot line was interesting and the acting wasn't terrible, especially that of the two main little girls who did amazing jobs! In particular, Isabelle Nelisse [Lilly] who was a baby when they arrived at "Mama's" and therefor was more feral than Megan Charpentier's Victoria character [who reverted back to normalcy quickly and with ease].
      I didn't even know the movie was starting first of all it just started. Lucas's brother [the girl's father] crashes the car while speeding crazily during a snow storm. I don't care what I've done, I wouldn't be going as fast as "he was" with my children in the car. He had ample time to escape his actions without having
After 5 years of fending for themselves, the now feral children are dirty, animalistic (they walk like dogs) and apparently only eat cherries...? After those 5 years of endless, relentless searching, they are found by 2 searchers and without questions they are taken in by their uncle and his girlfriend, Annabel [the funny blonde actress from "The Help"] who have been secretly hoping they were still alive somewhere.
      From the get go, Mama is not happy that they have taken her "daughters" away from her so she begins to wreak havoc on the new family. Lucas gets thrown down the stairs and has to stay in the hospital while Annabel is left to fend for herself  The rest of the movie drags on as "Mama"- who at first I found to be creepy because of her distorted figure and face, haunts the poor girlfriend to the point of having real feeling nightmares, and almost going crazy, before FINALLY coming "alive" and trying to take the girls with her.
      What irks me is the lack of an ending. Mama turns out to be just another tortured soul searching for a way to get to the other side. The only difference is she got stuck raising two kids, claiming them as hers in place of her dead baby, whom she killed herself when jumping to her death [many years earlier]. Only the little one goes with her because Mama is the only "parent" she has ever known. It doesn't matter to her that it's a twisted, senile woman's ghost. The eldest deicides she'd rather have a real life [I guess], with real parents. THE END. waaaa booo :p so anti-climactic!! I want my 13$ back. :(
THE ONLY SCARY THING! The rest bad CGI :p